Have you ever attended an event with speakers who spoke too long? Well, I attended one recently. The event was held outside on a beautiful sunny day. The audience stood around listening to each speaker as the sun beamed on them and they grew noticeably impatient. It appeared as though no one set a time limit on speaking. Politicians and others acknowleged their counterparts in the audience, made inside jokes, and provided too many details about the purpose of the event. It should have been obvious to the speakers that people were tired of standing in the sun but instead they selfishly took advantage of the limelight and their gift for gab by extending the program beyond its planned 30 minutes. It became painfully obvious that people were tired of waiting for the conclusion when at least 10 people in close proximity to each other walked away from the event.
As a public speaking educator and practitioner, I hope to file the event tightly into my memory and never fall into the long-winded speaker trap. Even a great speaker can lose favor with an audience when he or she talks too long!
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Welcome
Hello,
I invite you to join this blog and share your thoughts, experiences, and fears about public speaking in the form of comments, questions, advice, etc. I teach a public speaking class at a community college and have enjoyed meeting and hearing the speeches of my students throughout the years. So many people lack the confidence or the skills to speak comfortably in front of others. I believe that when people share their concerns, experiences, and suggestions for improvement, they learn to overcome their fears and tools to become better speakers. Even those who are good public speakers can find ways to improve. I look forward to everyone's contributions to our blog discussions.
No comments:
Post a Comment